New coat of paint…

Its now been nearly two years (somehow!) since the first book in the Daydreamer Chronicles series was published, so I decided it was about time to give it a fresh coat of paint.

The old cover is on the left and the new one on the right. It’s not a major overhaul, just what I hope is a slightly more dynamic image, with a bit more focus on the Stairway of Dreams off in the distance.

Now back to work on Book 4, or Part II, Book 1, or whatever it ends up being called. Currently just over 50,000 words down, with perhaps another 10,000 to go – so pretty soon I will start having to think about a cover for that too…

Hi-Ho Silver

In current circumstances it’s obviously not that important, but you have to find rays of positivity and make the most of these little moments of good news wherever you can.

Following on from the happy news that ‘The Boy Who Dreamt the World’ had been shortlisted as a finalist for the 2019 Wishing Shelf awards, I found out today that it had landed a valiant second place, securing a Silver Medal – which is apparently now winging its way to me. I am now going to start referring to myself as ‘Award Winning Author’ in every conceivable circumstance, which is going to get wearing for anyone that knows me really, really quickly 🙂

Catching up

Rather late for me to mention it, (seeing as it was more than a month ago). Life has been pretty busy recently and it’s taking a while to catch up on everything. Anyway, just wanted to say a big thanks to ManyBooks readers who chose the second book in the Daydreamer Chronicles series as the Best Children’s Book of the Month.

Meanwhile progress is happening with the next book. Not sure if I will hit my provisional deadline (self-imposed) of completion by the end of March, but hopefully shouldn’t be too far off – although there are still important things missing – like a title….

Half Way There?

Just a quick progress update on the next book. Currently pretty much exactly on 30,000 words, so perhaps half way there. Not all of the 30,000 are necessarily good words (or if they are they might not be contained within particularly good sentences) and some may not survive the next draft, but it all feels like it’s coming together quite nicely.

World Building

A big thanks to Oscar Paludi (Exoniensis) for his help in visualising the World of Reverie. Still possibly subject to some change, but it’s nice to have a few places marked out, whether from existing tales or those yet to come (there may be a subtle hint on the map as to where the stories might be heading in the future).

New Years Resolutions

Happy New Year!

Although I managed to get a surprising amount of writing in over the Christmas break, between friends, family and food (not necessarily in that order), I have decided to set myself a few New Years Resolutions to help get the next book successfully over the line.


New Years Resolution Number One: This year my writing will be fuelled by creativity and imagination rather than crisps (and sometimes coffee).

New Years Resolution Number Two: I will make sure that the timeline in the story is physically possible (I am looking at you – first draft of ‘Where Dreams End’).

New Years Resolution Number Three: I will see if I can finally work out how Amazon’s advertising algorithms tick.

Possibly more new and/or replacement resolutions to follow, particularly if I fall off the wagon with Resolution Number One…

Weaving a good story

After a bit of a break while the first ‘Tales from Reverie’ story got finalised and published I have been back working on the next main novel and am very pleased to say that page 150 is now complete.

Unfortunately pages 20-100, 120-149 and 151 onward are still missing… but I definitely have a very strong feeling about page 150, it’s going to be a really good page.

I’m not sure how many other writers work this way, but more often than not, after I have the main story beats planned out I end up flipping between sections in the order that they interest me the most. Starting with writing a bit of the opening, then skipping to some text half way through and perhaps a bit of the finale, before starting it all again the next day (or week, depending on how busy life is).

It keeps things fun and interesting and fends of the dreaded writer’s fatigue, up to the point where it all needs bringing together into one (hopefully coherent) narrative, normally about half way into the writing process. Continuity, distance, time, previous references and all sorts of other practical constraints then come into play and I have to pay the price for all the fun I had earlier, when I need to weave it all together.

Still, progress is happening and things are on course for completion sometime in the first quarter of next year (currently looking at March 2020). I’ll keep you posted.